My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Double the Peanut Butter Cookies

Curtis flew back to college Saturday. This morning I forgot he was gone for a moment and almost went upstairs to wake him up. We had him for 3 fleeting weeks and won't see him again until Thanksgiving.  Before he left, we had a little going away party, for which I asked him if there was anything he wanted me to make.  You see where I'm going with this?  "Yes," he said, "please make your peanut butter cookies."

I know everyone already has a peanut butter cookie recipe, but my kids and their friends are always asking me to make these.  My recipe uses double the amount of peanut butter and I don't roll them in sugar before I flatten and bake them.  They stay moist and tender and aren't sugary sweet, just very peanut-buttery. I always make a double batch, because otherwise they're gone before I go to bed.

Double the Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies


1 cup smooth peanut butter (I always use Skippy)
1/4 cup Crisco (this is important for texture)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Blend the Crisco, butter and peanut butters.  Add the sugars and blend well.  Add the egg and vanilla and blend well.  In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.  Add to the peanut butter mixture and mix well.


Drop the dough by tablespoons onto the cookie sheet.  Do not roll into balls first.  You want the cookies to have lots of craggy edges.  Using a fork dipped in flour, make cross-hatch marks on the cookies, dipping the fork in flour with each use.


Bake for 11 minutes, until slightly browned.  Cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before you transfer them to a cooling rack.  

4 comments:

Carolyn Christian said...

Hi! I'm from Notre Dame and know your son. He told us about your blog and we love to cook, so of course he told us about his favorite peanut butter cookies. We'll let you know how they turn out when we have time to make them!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Hi Carolyn,
I'm so happy to hear from you!!! Curtis will be psyched to have a source for those cookies in between visits home! I can't wait to hear how you like them. If you are thinking of making something and don't have a recipe, feel free to ask me and I'll post one for you. Also, on the blog, I am starting "Guest Recipe Sunday" so if you have a recipe you would like to submit and have me share, email me at margaretmt66@gmail.com or find me on Facebook or Twitter. Good luck with the cookies! ~Margaret

Deb Hilmer said...

Margaret, Thank you so much for being so good to Noelle. She came home this weekend and brought the peanut butter cookies with her (what was left after the car ride). I have to tell you that they were the best PB cookies Tom and I have ever eaten.
I have never gone to a blog before... yours is like reading a beautiful cookbook. Tom and I look forward to meeting and getting to know the family that raised such a wonderful son.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Deb, You're very welcome. We feel blessed to know Noelle, she is very dear. So happy you enjoyed the cookies and thanks for the kind words about the blog. Scott and I are looking forward to meeting you & Tom this summer. Should be a good time!
p.s. I'm very touched by your comment about Curtis.