My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Make Ahead Blueberry Scones


Over time you'll see a lot of scone recipes here, of all different kinds and techniques.  I love sweet things in the morning, and what Mama likes, Mama makes.  Today I had blueberries in the fridge, and I know they will be out of season soon, so blueberries it is.  The recipe came from Cook's Illustrated issue number eighty-seven.  This is a good "make-ahead" recipe because after they are shaped and ready to bake, you can freeze them to take out and bake any morning you like.  I've done it many times.  This recipe is a bit more involved than most, but so worth it.  They are very delicious.  I've tried using this same recipe, but without the frozen butter and folding dough steps (more like most other scone recipes) and they came out unrecognizable to these.  Cook's Illustrated got it just right.

Blueberry Scones


2 sticks of butter, frozen
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups flour, plus additional for work surface
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest from 1/2 lemon


Adjust oven rack to middle position.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Score and remove half of wrapper from each stick of frozen butter.  Grate frozen butter only down to the wrapper on both sticks.  A regular box cheese grater works great.   Immediately put grated butter back into the freezer.  Melt 2 tablespoons of the remaining butter, and save the remaining 6 for another use.


In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream.  Refrigerate until needed.  In a large bowl, mix together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.  Add frozen butter and toss with fingers.


Add milk mixture and stir in until just combined.  Turn out onto a liberally floured surface and knead 6-8 times, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking (I use quite a bit).  Make sure your surface has plenty of flour on it, then pat or roll dough into a 12 inch square.
Fold in thirds like a letter, then fold that into thirds.  It will look like the photo below.
Transfer dough to a plate lightly dusted with flour and place in freezer 5 minutes (I only do this when it's hot out).
Transfer dough to a floured surface and roll into a 12 inch square again, then sprinkle blueberries evenly over the surface and press down on them with your hand.
Roll this up jelly-roll style, forming a tight log.  Press log into a 12x4 inch rectangle.  Using a sharp flour knife, cut like so.
Place scones on a cookie sheet, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with sugar and bake 18-25 minutes until tops and bottoms are golden brown.  Let cool 10 minutes and enjoy!
If you're baking frozen scones, heat oven to 375 degrees and bake 25-30 minutes.

9 comments:

Verena said...

Margaret,
I love to cook and bake, too!
Your Blueberry Scones look so delicious! I will definetly try those. Thanks for following me on twitter. I´m a new follower of you here and on twitter.
I´m looking forward to see more of your wonderful recipes!
Have a beautiful sunday!
Verena
http://verenasschoenewelt.blogspot.com

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Thanks for following, I hope you enjoy the recipes! You have a beautiful blog (and family) and I'll be following for sure! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Deb said...

Margaret,

I made the scone this morning. My family loved them. I think they will all be gone by the end of the day. You are right- you definitely need to add a lot of flour when you knead the dough. Fabulous recipe - Thank you!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Deb,
I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Yes, you do need a lot of flour. On the board, on your hands, on the dough (all over my camera, haha).

Mandy said...

Do you think it would work with frozen blueberries? I plan to make these and then freeze them raw, so I can bake them Christmas morning while the kids are tearing into their presents...Thanks!

Mandy said...

I'm wondering if frozen blueberries will work, seeing that it *is* December. I'm planning to make them and freeze them raw as you suggest, so they can bake Christmas morning during the presents mayhem that is likely to ensue...

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Mandy: Frozen berries would work fine! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do! Merry Christmas!

alkinsey said...

Printed out, I will let you know how they turned out!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

That's great - I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!