My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie

"It's like peanut butter and chocolate.  Each is great, but they're better together."
~ Richard Whitehead
















It's fitting that this would be the recipe for my 100th post.  It should be special after all, and peanut butter pie is something I make only for special occasions, usually Curtis coming home, since it's one of his favorites.
The recipe is from a really good restaurant in Westerly, Rhode Island called 84 High Street.  I upped the amount of cream cheese, and changed the crust from graham cracker to chocolate, but other than that, it is spot on.

The first time I made it, it really was just for the kids and I didn't even think I'd like it.  WAS I WRONG.   It is so good.  I told Audrey I was writing the post on peanut butter pie and asked if she had anything to say about it.  Her response was "I only had about 9 pieces of it, it was so good.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner!"
I've heard it likened to, well....let's keep this rated PG and just say a physiological response.
It also keeps for several days in the fridge, allowing you to make ahead with ease.  Only prerequisite:  Do you like peanut butter?  Do you like chocolate?  Do you like Reese's peanut butter cups?  Nuff said.

Peanut Butter Pie  


Crust:
1 1/2 cups of crushed Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
2 tablespoons sugar
1 stick butter, melted
Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  Press the mixture into the bottom and halfway up the sides of a nine-inch springform pan and place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.


Filling:
2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks.  Set aside and chill.  In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the sugar and mix well.  Add the peanut butter and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy.  Stir in one quarter of the whipped cream to loosen the mixture, then carefully fold in the remaining whipped  cream. Spoon batter into the chilled crust and freeze for 1 hour.


Chocolate Sauce:
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
In a heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a boil.  Turn off the heat and add the chocolate chips.  Stir the chocolate until smooth.  Let cool.  Pour the sauce onto the pie and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.  Serve chilled.

4 comments:

Di said...

Wow, that looks fabulous! It reminds me of a peanut butter torte that we made for TWD. I think your change to the chocolate cookies for the crust is a great one. Congrats on 100 posts!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Margaret, this sounds died and gone to heaven good :-). I've bookmarked this and will be making it a few weeks down the road. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Di: Thanks!

@Mary: Thanks, I hope you like it! When you get to it, let me know what you think!

Kimby said...

Margaret,
Congratulations on your 100th post! What an accomplishment, and this pie is definitely the fitting treat to celebrate! WAY TO GO!