My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken Roasted with Sour Cream, Lemon Juice and Mango Chutney

"I want there to be no peasant in my kingdom so poor that he cannot have a chicken in his pot every Sunday."
~Henry IV

































This was one of the easiest dinners I've ever made.  You whisk a few things together, pour it over the chicken, bake and viola!  Wonderful, succulent chicken with lots of delicious sauce to mop up with noodles, broccoli, bread....your fingers.  The Mister said after the meal "If you told me I was going to eat all that chicken, I would have said you were crazy, but that was fantastic (and there was nothing left)."  

The recipe came from The Essential New York Times Cookbook  that I recently purchased and am enjoying.  I have a lot of cookbooks, and this is my new favorite.  If you like to cook; buy it, you won't regret it.

Chicken Roasted with Sour Cream, Lemon Juice, and Mango Chutney
Serves 2

2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half (as if to butterfly)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons Major Grey's mango chutney
1 teaspoon curry powder
Juice of 1 lemon
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Lay the chicken in a medium baking dish (either Pyrex or enameled cast iron).
2. Whisk together the mayonnaise and sour cream in a small bowl.  Add the chutney and curry powder and whisk until smooth.  Add the lemon juice a little at a time, tasting as you go.  It should taste quite tangy.  Stop when it is to your liking.
3. Spoon the sauce evenly over the chicken.  Sprinkle with cracked pepper.  Place in the oven and roast until the sauce is bubbling and starting to brown on the chicken.  Amanda Hesser's recipe said to cook it 15 minutes.  I preferred it cooked 25 minutes so it would brown nicely.

Cook's note: Whatever you do, do not substitute low-fat or non-fat sour cream or mayo...they will not cook down properly to make the sauce.

6 comments:

Satrupa said...

Hello Dear,
How are you doing ? The Chicken looks gorgeous ... I am literally drooling :-) And I am sure the Mister was right !

Cheers,
Satrupa

http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Satrupa: Hi there, I'm doing great! How are you? Enjoying all this snow we're getting? It's a good excuse to try some new recipes, since I'm stuck in the house! This one was a keeper!

KDoucette said...

Oooo la la, margaret, you have got me busy and now I have a job to go to soon and won't be able to have leisure time to cook but this I can do with my eyes closed!! I love it!! Something fast and easy and you make it look elegant as well and can't wait to do the coconut cake!! Love it!! YOU ROCK!! Love ya!!
Kris xoxo<3

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

YUM! I'm going to try this! Thanks!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Kris: Haha, thanks!
@Leslie: You're always welcome...I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Jean said...

Gosh, this chicken sounds delicious--I imagine it's tangy, sweet and creamy all at once. So easy, too!