My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

No Knead Pizza Crust

"Ideas are like pizza dough, made to be tossed around"
~Anna Quindlen

























I've been making this a LOT lately.  The starter dough is easier to whip up than a batch of cookies, is always available, gets better by the day, and is super-economical.  In 4 words: It fits my life.  In recent weeks I've been working more and have quite a bit going on personally too, making everything more of a juggling act.  There are people close to me, that I love, who are going through serious struggles that break my heart, and I want to be available for them as much as I can.  Makes it hard to get here as often as I'd like.  Not that I've stopped cooking.  I'm cooking up a storm!  Additionally, my camera has been giving me fits....my laptop went through a couple weeks of constant crashing, until I de-fragged it (that worked wonders.)  AND the dish I was prepared to blog about last week (Nicaraguan Arroz con Pollo) was an epic failure (bleh-patooey!) The perfect recipe for blog-neglect.  But that brings me back to the pizza dough.
Over a year ago, I posted a recipe for no-knead bread that you cook inside a heavy dutch oven.  That's a great recipe and it tastes delicious, but you make one loaf at a time.  About a month ago, I came across a no-knead recipe for Artisan Bread on The Italian Dish.  I tried it and found it even easier to work with than the first recipe I tried, and the fact that you keep the dough stored in the fridge for up to two weeks is just a God-send on busy days.  You can turn this dough into a beautiful boule that is remarkably easy to do, but my preference is to use it for pizza crust.  I've been making my own pizza for 25 years, and we've always loved it, but this crust is quicker, easier, better and always at the ready!  The bin I use to store my dough is a little too big, but it has worked anyway.
Cook's notes:  The recipe calls for 6 1/2 cups of unbleached white flour, but I used 5 cups white flour and 1 1/2 cups of wheat pastry flour.  You may be tempted to use more wheat flour, but be careful, it effects the way it rises and you may end up with very heavy, flat dough.  Consider yourself warned.  About 1/3 of the recipe of dough will spread nicely in a standard cookie sheet, for a pizza that will serve 3 or 4.  If you have a pizza stone you can use that instead.  Crisco is my preference to grease the pan, then I sprinkle it with cornmeal.  I found when I oiled the pan with olive oil, the dough slid around too much, and I prefer it to behave.  My daughter suggested dusting the edge of the crust with garlic powder, GREAT IDEA..now we're hooked on it that way.  Use a quality pizza sauce, spread evenly, then sprinkle about 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan or Percorino Romano cheese over the sauce.  Sprinkle a light even layer of grated mozzarella over this (about 1 1/2 cups), then grated sharp cheddar (about 1 cup).  Mozzarella cheese is pretty bland on it's own, using 3 cheeses really makes it.  After that, additional toppings are up to you.  Our favorite combo is pepperoni, onions and peppers on 2/3 of the pizza, and the last 1/3 left plain.
Here is the beauty of this dough recipe; at the end of the two weeks, remove whatever dough you have left from your bin.  Without washing bin, stir together new dough ingredients, replace old dough right on top of the new.  Cover bin and leave out overnight or 24 hours.  This new batch is now good for 2 more weeks.  This works, I've done it several times and plan on keeping this dough going, it just gets better!  I'm sending you over to the The Italian Dish blog for the recipe, because the post was just so darn great that you should check out the original!  Now I'll finish packing for our trip to South Bend to proudly see our son graduate from college.  Since the airline dropped us from the last leg of our flight, we are now taking the train, which will take longer, but be WAY more relaxing...and hey! we got a sleeper car.  We've never traveled this way before so we're pretty excited about it!  Hope to be back here in a week or two.

19 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

It still sounds like work, :) but thanks!

Hovkonditorn said...

Your pizza looks amazing! Yummy!

Kathy said...

Your crust looks fabulous…I might have to try this soon! Great looking pizza!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Thank you ladies!!!

Di said...

Mmm, pizza. I love pizza. =) It's been a while since I've made any ABin5 dough, but it's definitely been handy in the past. I love Peter Reinhart's book that the original post refers to; it's my go-to bread book.

I hope life settles down for you soon. Hang in there!

King Bedroom said...

Lovely day
The Irish Mother
While reading this magical article, I have feel that this blog really has all the quality that qualify a blog to be a good one!

Mary said...

What a great idea for pizza. The crust looks wonderful and the pie looks delicious. I hope your world calms down a bit. We do miss you. Have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

Cathleen said...

This looks great! I have never made a homemade pizza before, which frankly offends me. I need to start very, very soon!

Veena Theagarajan said...

So yummy and fabulous pizza!

Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Anne Tierney said...

I Definitely have to try this this week! The ONE thing I can count on all 3 of my little ones to eat is PIZZA!
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Anne Tierney said...

I can get my dough to make an awesome LOAF of bread, but can't get it to spread out for a pizza crust worth a dang- keeps drawing back up. Very frustrating. Maybe I'll just make a pizza roll up ;)

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Anne, when starting the dough, try adding 1/4 cup more warm water..it will make a slacker dough!

Verena said...

Oh Margaret, I love homemade pizza! Yours looks so yummy. Thank you for sharing!
Hope you are well!
Hug´s,
Verena

Kimby said...

Margaret, I've been AWOL, too (mostly and unintentionally from comment sections!), but it's a joy to do some leisurely reading, at last. Your pizza dough and 3-cheese suggestion sound fantastic and time saving. Hope things are going well for you.

kale said...

the results look pretty fantastic... i'll have to try this recipe!

Rosalía de la Rosa said...

Querida margaret, tu pizaa es ideal, justo para una buena famiñlia. si te pasas por mi blog tienes una sorpresa , Bss.

cody said...

This is a very good pizza dough recipe and worth the wait. It's very easy, just be prepared to make it into pizza 24 hours later.

BEOWULF said...

Hello! I loved your orange scone recipe!!! I was wondering if you had a great "shepherd's pie" recipe, as well?

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Yes, I do - It is my cottage pie recipe. Cottage pie is made with ground or minced beef - Shepherd's pie with lamb, otherwise there is no difference. Here is the link:

http://theirishmother.blogspot.com/2011/03/cottage-pie-and-cookbook-giveaway.htmlo difference.